No Garbage or Recycling Collection on Memorial Day, Monday, May 28, 2001
May 11, 2001 | Contact: Kathy Dawkins (212) 788-3917
The New York City Department of Sanitation has announced that, in observance of Memorial Day, there will be no street cleaning, garbage or recycling collection on Monday, May 28, 2001. Residents who normally receive Monday recycling collection on May 28, 2001 will not have their recycling material picked up until the following Monday, June 4, 2001. Residents should comply with the following adjusted schedules:
Garbage Collection Schedule
Recycling Collection Schedule
- Residents who normally receive Monday garbage collection should instead place their trash out at curbside Monday evening, for pickup on Tuesday.
- On Tuesday, some residents may have their garbage picked up at an earlier or later time than normal.
- Areas that regularly receive garbage collection on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 should place their trash out at curbside Monday evening, as they normally would.
- Residents who normally receive Monday recycling collection will not have their recycling material picked up until the following Monday, June 4, 2001.
- Residents are urged not to place their recyclables out at curbside until Sunday June 3, 2001.
- Residents and owners of commercial establishments who unlawfully leave their recyclables out at curbside over the holiday weekend are subject to a fine of up to $250.
- Areas that are scheduled to receive recycling collection on Tuesday, May 29, 2001, should place their recyclables out at the curbside Monday evening, May 28, 2001, as they normally would.
S hopkeepers, restaurant managers, and other merchants who are serviced by private carting companies should contact their refuse haulers to determine whether they will receive collection on the holiday. The Department’s administrative offices will be closed on Monday, May 28, 2001 in observance of the holiday. For questions about Sanitation services and schedules over the holiday, contact the Sanitation Action Center at (212) 219-8090 or visit our web site at www.nyc.gov/sanitation.