November 4, 2004 | Vito A. Turso / Taryn Duckett (646) 885-5020
Press Release # 04-60, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
In preparation for the 2004-2005 snow season, Sanitation Commissioner John J. Doherty announced today that the Department is now registering temporary laborers who can be mobilized quickly after storms to remove snow and ice from step streets in sections of Manhattan, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island. The laborers will focus on the city's step streets, which are sets of stairwells located between avenues to connect streets that have a significant height differential. The rate of pay begins at $9.00 per hour and increases to $13.50 per hour, after completing the first 40 hours.
[02/2005 update:Those interested in registering should go to any Sanitation Department garage.] Those interested in registering should go to the following Sanitation Department garages weekdays between the hours of 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM:
• Manhattan 12301 West 215th Street, between 9th Avenue and Harlem River;
• Bronx 4720 East 132nd Street, between Willow Avenue and Bruckner Expressway;
• Bronx 51331 Cromwell Avenue, between 168th and 170th Streets;
• Bronx 7 & 8423 West 215th Street, between 9th and 10th Avenues;
• Queens West 252-35 58th Street, between 53rd Avenue and 58th Street;
• Staten Island 1539 Jersey Street, between Victory Boulevard and Brook Street
Applicants must be over 18 years of age, be eligible to work in the United States, and capable of performing heavy physical labor. Applicants must possess two (2) small photos (1 ½"), and two (2) documents that prove identity and employment eligibility, such as a driver's license; federal, state or local identification; school identification with photo; or passport.
For more information on registration of step street snow laborers, applicants can contact the following districts or call 311.• Manhattan 12(212) 567-4600