How do I get rid of bed bugs?

If you live in an apartment, hotel, or single room occupancy (SRO) building, report bed bugs to your landlord or management company. If you get no response, you can report the problem using the Bed Bug Complaint Form. You can call 311 to report bed bugs in New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) apartments, day care centers, New York City public schools, CUNY colleges, and subways.

If you are a private homeowner, hire a licensed pest management professional to find, trap, and kill bed bugs. You can also:

  • Clean and disinfect surfaces and furnishings
  • Consider encasements for mattresses and box springs
  • Dry bedding and clothes on the hottest setting

You can learn more on the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene website.