Eviction Prevention Assistance

The City provides information about the eviction process and assistance to prevent eviction.

A Notice of Eviction is a document produced by a sheriff or marshal after a court has authorized a tenant's eviction. A marshal or a sheriff may send the notice by mail, deliver it in person, or post it on the tenant's door. The paper says "NOTICE OF EVICTION" at the top and includes the name of the court, the marshal or sheriff's contact information, a Docket Number, and an Index Number.

The Legal Aid Society provides free legal services to people who have been served with formal Housing Court documents and are in need of eviction assistance.

The City offers the One-Shot Deal Program to those who qualify. Families and individuals with rent arrears who may be at risk of eviction can apply for One-Shot Deal rent assistance.

If you receive Cash Assistance (also called Public Assistance), you may be eligible for help paying your back rent. You should go to your HRA Job Center and see the Homelessness Diversion Unit to discuss your situation.

Seniors who have received a Notice of Eviction or a written notice from their landlord can get eviction prevention assistance and legal referrals. The City also provides eviction assistance for seniors age 60 and older who are mentally or physically impaired.