Fire Hydrant Request

You can request hydrant installation, removal, relocation, locking, unlocking, or spray cap fitting.

To request the relocation, installation or removal of a hydrant, send a letter to:
NYC Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Water and Sewer Operations
59-17 Junction Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11373

The letter must include where the hydrant is currently located, where you want it moved if you are requesting relocation, and the reason for your request.

If a hydrant has a history of being opened illegally, you can ask the City to put a lock on it. Once a hydrant is locked, only someone from the Fire Department or the Department of Environmental Protection can open it.

To have a hydrant unlocked, you must first get a permit from a Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) borough office. Once you have the permit, you must provide 311 with the permit number, your phone number, and the hydrant location, so that DEP can open the hydrant.

You can ask at your local firehouse to have a hydrant opened and fitted with a spray cap for recreational use. You must be over 18, show ID, and fill out a form. The firehouse will schedule a time to turn the hydrant on and off.

The City tests the flow of each fire hydrant twice a year. Only constructors of large buildings require flow tests to determine if water pressure is adequate. Requests are not accepted from the general public.

The City paints fire hydrants on a regular maintenance schedule and does not accept painting requests.