Certificate of Occupancy and Letter of No Objection

The City requires that property owners file a Certificate of Occupancy application if construction or alteration has changed their building's use, occupancy, or means of exit. You must file an application for a Certificate of Occupancy to begin the inspection process before the certificate is issued.

The City provides Letters of No Objection to confirm the legal use of a building built before 1938. To request a Letter of No Objection, go to the Department of Buildings Borough Office where your property is located. Bring any property related materials you have that demonstrate the longstanding use of the property. Examples include old property surveys, deeds, water bills, tax assessments, or photographs.

Before you visit a Department of Buildings Borough Office, research the construction records for the property by using the online Building Information System.