Endorsement of Insurance and FEMA Claim Checks

If you are a homeowner and you have received a third party insurance or FEMA claim check listing The City of New York (Dept of Housing Preservation and Development) as a co-payee, you must have HPD endorse the check before you will be able to cash it. This is because HPD holds either a mortgage or lien on your property.

You may visit HPD to have the check endorsed Mon - Fri: 9 AM - 4 PM.

HPD Home Owner Servicing Unit
100 Gold Street (between Frankfort and Spruce Streets)
7th Floor, Unit U
New York, NY 10038

To have your third party check endorsed, you must:
•  Bring your check with the explanation of benefits
•  Bring valid photo ID such as a driver's license, non-driver or state ID with signature, or passport
•  Complete, notarize, and return an affidavit attesting that any duplicate insurance claim checks will be returned to FEMA or any other necessary third party, and that the money received will be applied toward repairing or rebuilding the property