The City sponsors two non-profit organizations that provide free minor house repairs to income-eligible homeowners or tenants ages 60 and older.
Examples of the types of assistance include:
• Minor plumbing
• Minor carpentry and electrical work
• Caulking and weather-stripping of windows and doors
• Installation or repair of door locks and chains
Major work, such as the installation of a ramp, is not provided.
Depending on individual situations, some condominium or co-op owners may also qualify.
You can contact these organizations for details on the assistance they provide:
For renters, homeowners, or qualified condominium or co-op owners:
• The Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty at (212) 453-9542
For homeowners or qualified condominium or co-op owners:
• The New York Foundation for Senior Citizens at (212) 962-7655