Hospital Medical Records

To request a copy of a medical record from a hospital, you should call or write to the hospital holding the record. You must speak to the medical records department and request a release of medical information authorization form from the hospital. If the hospital does not respond to this request within a timely manner, you can file a complaint with the New York State Department of Health. Mail complaints to:

New York State Department of Health
Centralized Hospital Intake Program
433 River Street, 6th floor
Troy, New York 12180

You can get help getting records from hospitals that have gone out of business by calling (800) 804-5447.