You can get exemptions that can reduce the amount of property tax you owe.
- School Tax Relief Exemption (STAR)
- Senior Citizen Homeowners Exemption (SCHE)
- Disabled Homeowners Exemption (DHE)
- Veteran Exemption
- Clergy Exemption
- Disabled Crime Victim/Good Samaritan Exemption
You can only apply for exemptions for your primary residence. A primary residence is the house, condominium, or cooperative apartment that you live in for most of the year, or the address where you are registered to vote.
You can use the Homeowner Tax Benefits Application to apply for most of the property tax exemptions.
The deadline to apply for benefits for the 2018/2019 tax year is March 15, 2018.
- If you are eligible for an exemption and your 2018/2019 application is postmarked on or before March 15, 2018, you will start receiving benefits July 1, 2018.
- If you are eligible for an exemption and your 2018/2019 application is postmarked after March 15, 2018, you will start receiving benefits July 1, 2019.