New York City's SaveUSA program has ended for 2014.
The SaveUSA program offers an incentive to save at tax time. If you save at least $200 of your tax refund in a SaveUSA account for a year, you earn 50 cents for every dollar you save. If you save $1,000, you earn the maximum $500 match.
The program is available on a first come, first served basis and while funds last.
To qualify for the SaveUSA program, you must:
• Earn $52,000 or less if you have children
• Earn $18,000 or less if you do not have children
• Have a minimum refund of $200 and agree to save at least $200 in the SaveUSA account
• Be 18 years of age or older
• Provide two forms of identification and proof of address in addition to your tax documents
• Open the SaveUSA account at the time you file your taxes