Scale Complaint

You can report scales that:

  • Do not have a current official seal showing that they passed inspection
  • Are not within 30 feet of a store's prepackaged food section
  • Do not start at zero or do not come to rest before weight or price is quoted
  • Are not positioned so you can see weight information and the price per pound

Stores must subtract the weight of the container, called tare, from the total cost of the weighed item.

The City accepts complaints about scales used by street or food cart vendors, but you must provide:

  • The vendor's Consumer Affairs or Health license number
  • A receipt

The City cannot handle your complaint without this information.