School Transfer Request

The City accepts requests for students to transfer from one public school to another. If you want to transfer your child from one public school to another, first speak to the guidance counselor at your child's school.

Schools are required to meet with families to review transfer requests and provide supporting documentation when a transfer is warranted. Families must gather required documentation from your child's guidance counselor or appropriate school personnel. Transfer requests will not be considered until a student has had the opportunity to meet with his/her guidance counselor. Parents must bring the required documentation to a Family Welcome Center (formerly known as Enrollment Offices). Once the completed documents are submitted, staff will review the request and, if approved, will identify a different placement that addresses the request.

Generally, transfers are granted only when there are documented safety, medical, or child care reasons. Students at some schools are also eligible to transfer through the Public School Choice program.