Through the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE), the City provides rental assistance for head-of-household seniors 62 and older who live in rent-regulated apartments.
The City provides information for SCRIE, including:
- Eligibility for SCRIE if you are a senior residing in a rent stabilized building
- Eligibility for SCRIE if you are a senior residing in a Mitchell Lama or any other (non rent stabilized) government regulated development
- How to apply
- Status of an application
- How to renew SCRIE benefits
- How to make an appeal if you believe you were wrongly denied SCRIE benefits
- How to fill out a Portability Form if you are a SCRIE recipient and you are moving to a different rent regulated apartment
- How to report that the building is under new ownership or management, if you are the landlord
- How to report to the SCRIE program that a SCRIE tenant has moved or died
- How to correct or update information on your SCRIE record
- How to request an adjustment of legal rent based on Casado v. Markus court action
A senior's local senior center can also provide assistance with the application process.