Car Service, Limousine, or Ambulette Driver License

Drivers of for-hire vehicles must have a valid license from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

The following types of vehicles are considered for-hire:

  • Ambulettes (also known as paratransit vehicles)
  • Black cars
  • Car service cars
  • Commuter vans
  • Limousines

If you are a new applicant, you must have a chauffeur license or New York State class A, B, C, or E license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, or an equivalent from Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey, to drive a for-hire vehicle.