You can get free help preparing your taxes at an NYC Free Tax Prep site.
Sites are available throughout the City and offer different options, including:
- In-person assistance: at most sites, a certified volunteer will prepare your taxes for you
- Online filing assistance: at some sites, a certified volunteer will help you do your own taxes online
- Drop-off service: at some sites, you can drop off your tax documents and pick up the completed return later
Some sites may also have different income eligibility requirements. You should ask about site details.
In general, to use a free site, you must:
- Earn $54,000 or less if you have children
- Earn $30,000 or less if you do not have children
- Have a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Bring all relevant tax documents to the site
- Have a valid email address if you do your own taxes online with help