The City provides information about becoming an auxiliary police officer.
Auxiliary police are uniformed members of the New York Police Department (NYPD) who assist in deterring crime through regular patrols and by helping at major incidents. This is an ideal program for people with a sense of community and public service or an interest in a future career in law enforcement.
- You should be between the ages of 17 and 63
- If you are over age 63, you may apply for limited duties
- You must live or work in New York City
- You must be in good health
- You must be able to read and write English
- You must never have been convicted of a felony or arrested for a serious crime that would prevent acceptance
- You must have U.S. citizenship, a valid visa, or an alien registration card
- You must be of good character