You can get information about becoming an auxiliary police officer.
Auxiliary police are uniformed members of the NYPD who help deter crime through regular patrols and by providing assistance at major incidents. The program welcomes people with a sense of community and public service, or who have an interest in a future career in law enforcement.
Auxiliary police officers must:
- Be between the ages of 17 and 63 (if you are older than 63, you may apply for limited duties)
- Live or work in New York City
- Be in good health
- Be able to read and write English
- Never have been convicted of a felony or arrested for a serious crime that would prevent acceptance
- Have U.S. citizenship, a valid visa, or an alien registration card