Estate Administration Assistance

The State handles the estates of people who have died without a will or without family who are able to administer the estate.

The residence of a deceased person who lived alone is sealed by the New York Police Department after valuables have been removed and safeguarded. New York State is notified and takes responsibility for the property. To gain access to the residence, you must contact the State. For immediate access due to a priority issue such as broken water pipes, you should contact the police precinct closest to the address.