Newspaper boxes, or newsracks, are allowed on City sidewalks.
They must be located:
- Between 18 to 24 inches from the curb
- 5 feet from a crosswalk or building canopy
- Allow for an 8-foot wide unobstructed path on the sidewalk
There are no restrictions on the number of newspaper boxes allowed at one location.
You can report a newsrack that is:
- Filled with garbage
- In a bus stop, crosswalk, or roadway
- Within 15 feet of a hydrant or news stand
- On a sidewalk grating, cellar door, or utility cover
- Less than 18 inches or more than 24 inches from the curb
- Obstructing an 8-foot wide sidewalk path
- Chained to a lamp post or City property
- Not weighed down
- Exceeding allowed dimensions
The Department of Transportation enforces the regulations on the placement and condition of newsracks.