You can get tested for Hepatitis C. There is no vaccine to prevent the disease, and you are never immune.
You should get tested for Hepatitis C if you:
- Were born between 1945 and 1965
- Have ever injected or inhaled (snorted) drugs, hormones, steroids, silicon or cosmetics - even if it was once a long time ago
- Had a blood transfusion or organ transplant before 1992
- Are HIV-Positive
- Were born in, or had a blood transfusion or medical procedure in, Egypt, Pakistan, Russia, or the former Soviet Republic
- Are the child of a Hepatitis C-positive mother
- Got a tattoo or piercing from anyone other than a licensed professional
- Have had abnormal liver tests or were told you have liver disease
- Have ever been on long-term dialysis
- Have been exposed to blood or stuck with a needle while working
- Have ever been incarcerated
- Are a man who has sex with men
- Have sex with multiple partners.
Oral medications can cure Hepatitis C in 2-3 months, with few side effects. You can get low-cost or free care and treatment at several City facilities.