You must have a Car Wash license if your business cleans vehicles, including washing, detailing, drying, polishing, vacuuming, or other cosmetic care of vehicles.
You can apply:
- In person at the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) Licensing Center in Manhattan or NYC Small Business Support Center in Queens. OR
- Online using the DCA Business Toolbox at nyc.gov/BusinessToolbox.
You do not need a Car Wash license if you:
- Sell, lease, rent, or repair motor vehicles, with car washing secondary to the primary business.
- Operate a self-service facility for washing vehicles where customers—not facility employees—clean vehicles.
- Clean vehicles on an irregular basis to raise funds for a not-for-profit organization.
- Are a federal, state, or local governmental agency.