Foster Care Strategic Blueprint
ACS is aggressively implementing a strategic foster care blueprint to improve outcomes for children in foster care.
The ACS Foster Care Strategic Blueprint identifies key priorities and strategies for improving case practice and results across the foster care continuum—from family reunification to kinship placement to adoption to supporting older youth in care.
Guiding these are several larger-system priorities including strengthening collaboration and integration of services; creating greater support to foster care agencies, and delivering interventions designed to help children, parents, and families cope with trauma.
Read the Foster Care Strategic Blueprint
Read the June 2016 Foster Care Strategic Blueprint Implementation Update
RELEASED FEB. 2017: Read the 2016 Year-End Foster Care Strategic Blueprint Report
Significant progress has already been made. Highlights include:
- Launch of the NYC’s largest-ever foster care initiative, Strong Families NYC
- Decrease in foster care census below 10,000 due to improvements in investigations and increased availability of preventive services
- From FY 2015 to FY 2016, the number children adopted increased by 5% and the number achieving permanency through kinship guardianship (KinGAP) increased by 25%
- Reduction in foster care caseworker caseloads to a historic low of 10-12 children
- Significant expansion of evidence based models—proven interventions to address trauma, mental health and other challenges faced by children and families
- Intensive use of data and business process analysis to identify bright spots and challenges and bring these improvements to scale