ACS is dedicated to building a system where all foster homes and family supports are LGBTQ-affirming.
Affirming Foster and Adoptive Families
If you are LGBTQ-affirming and thinking about fostering or adopting, you can make the difference in the life of an LGBTQ young person.
- Affirming families welcome all LGBTQ young people and encourage them to be themselves in all parts of family life, treat all children with dignity and respect, and work to meet their children’s individual needs.
- You do not need to identify as LGBTQ yourself to be an affirming family for an LGBTQ youth!
- Learn How ACS Identifies Affirming Families
- Call the ACS Parent Recruitment Hotline at (212) 676-9474, and express your interest.
- Sign the ACS Affirming Home Pledge, and bring it to your first foster parent training.
- Share our parent recruitment posters widely.
LGBT Foster Care Project
The LGBT Foster Care Project is a collaboration between ACS and the New York City LGBT Community Center. Besides helping to recruit and train LGBTQ and Ally foster parents, the LGBT Foster Care Project supports existing LGBTQ & Ally foster parents at monthly support groups hosted at the Center.
Visit the Center’s website to learn more. To schedule a counseling appointment to help support your family, please contact The Center at (646) 556-9300 or email email@example.com.
Support for Families with LGBTQ Children
Your role as a caretaker has a major impact on your child’s well-being and ability to become healthy, happy, and an independent adult. Thanks to research conducted by the Family Acceptance Project, we know that families who openly accept and support their child’s LGBTQ identity significantly reduce the risk of physical and mental health concerns, which improves their child’s well-being and opportunities to succeed.
For resources (groups, therapy etc.) to help you support your LGBTQ child, visit the Resources page. If you have questions or want more info, contact ACS LGBTQ Office.
Back to LGBTQ Support Page