LGBTQ Youth Empowerment Group (YEG)
YEG welcomes current and former LGBTQ youth with foster care or juvenile justice experience (ages 18 & up), youth development professionals, and LGBTQ youth community leaders. The Youth Empowerment Group helps ACS:
- Understand the strengths, interests, and needs of current and former LGBTQ youth with foster care or juvenile justice experience.
- Learn what programs and services work and don’t work for you.
- Create solutions to improve programs and services.
- Build a culture at ACS and our contracted providers that accepts you for you who are, and:
- Tackle barriers to permanency and well-being for LGBTQ youth.
Interested in joining? Contact the ACS LGBTQ Office.
Know Your Rights
You have the right to be yourself. You should be treated with respect and your specific needs should be met no matter what your sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression is.
Download the Know Your Rights brochure.
If someone isn’t respecting your rights, contact the ACS Office of Advocacy at (212) 676-9421 or contact the ACS LGBTQ Office.
LGBTQ Community Liaison
Please contact the ACS LGBTQ Community Liaison if you want help finding support and services that will be a good fit for you. The Liaison can also find local LGBTQ groups or upcoming events.
The LGBTQ Community Liaison can provide trainings that include:
- Peer Ally Trainings for foster care and juvenile justice facilities that help non-LGBTQ youth learn strategies to support their LGBTQ peers, and
- Know Your Rights trainings for LGBTQ youth who are currently in ACS care
LGBTQ Youth Resources
Are you in need of help or resources? Contact the LGBTQ Community Liaison. You can also visit the Resources page to find LGBTQ-affirming youth groups and services.
LGBTQ Support Page