Scheduling an Appointment
Applicants seeking to make a Plan Examination appointment can either request an appointment in person at a borough office or schedule an appointment by calling 311. Outside of New York, call 212 NEW YORK (212) 639-9675.
To schedule a specialized plan examination appointment (clusters, additional job reviews, pre-considerations, re-considerations, audits, pre-BIS jobs, and emergency appointments) please contact the appropriate borough office.
Plan Exam Notification System (PENS) Appointment
The Department of Buildings developed PENS to make it easier to do business with us, by validating job information before scheduling a plan examination appointment.
To Register for a PENS ID and PIN Number
Visit our Licensing Unit at 280 Broadway (6th floor), and request a PENS Registration Form
. Fill in the required information and submit the form either in person or via fax to:
NYC Department of Buildings
Filing Representative Program Coordinator
280 Broadway - 6th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Fax: (212) 566-3054
Scheduling an Appointment Through 311
Applicants seeking to make Plan Examination appointments through 311 must file a PENS Registration Form
with the Department. Once registered, applicants can schedule appointments over the phone by providing 311 representatives your unique Buildings ID and PIN Number; appointments will not be granted without these.
311 Appointment Confirmation Number
- You will receive a PENS confirmation number when scheduling/canceling appointments.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation if you provide your e-mail address.
- You must provide your confirmation number to confirm, cancel or reschedule appointments.
- Cancellations must be made 24 hours before the scheduled appointment.
- To cancel a standard appointment made via 311, call 311 and provide your confirmation number.
- To cancel a specialized examination appointment, call the appropriate borough office.
Manual Appointment Request
Applicants seeking to make a Manual Plan Examination Appointment can either submit the Manual Appointment and Drop Off Request Form
in person at a borough office.
The following manual appointments are only scheduled by the borough office:
- Re-consideration appointments
- Pre-consideration appointments
Confirming or Canceling an Appointment
Plan examination appointments can be made up to two months in advance. Callers may schedule standard plan examination appointments virtually 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (the system is unavailable due to maintenance every morning from 12:00 am to 4:00 am)
All appointments default to 20 minute intervals. Callers may request a 40-minute appointment for NB’s and ALT1’s only (40-minute appointments are not automatic for these job types). A 40-minute appointment for a job/document will be counted as one appointment. Up to four appointments may be scheduled per phone call. Appointments may be cancelled and rescheduled during the same phone call.
Applicants must confirm or cancel plan examination appointments at least 24 hours before their scheduled appointment. Applicants must cancel scheduled appointments before picking a date to reschedule.
Fire Alarm Plan Examination
To support the implementation of FDNY Rules
, fire alarm drawings will be reviewed by the Fire Department at its Brooklyn headquarters. FDNY reviews fire alarm plans at their headquarters:
New Fire Alarm Plan Examination
9 Metrotech Center
Brooklyn, NY 11201
1. All fire alarm applications must be filed as separate Alteration Type 2 applications with a fire alarm work type (FA).
2. Drawings must be submitted to and reviewed by the Fire Department.
3. Application forms and fees must still be submitted at DOB Borough Offices.
4. There are two required
items related to fire alarms. Both will automatically apply to the Alteration 2 FA job:
- Prior to Approval: FDNY Received and Approved Plans
- Prior to Signoff: As Built Plans
Note: The As Built Plans must be submitted to the Fire Department to obtain FDNY’s Letter of Approval.
To find out more, visit the FDNY Bureau of Fire Prevention