The Department of Buildings has several resources available to assist homeowners in buying, building, maintaining, and greening their homes.
Hiring a Professional
Safe construction begins when qualified and experienced professionals are hired. Knowing a professional’s disciplinary and voluntary license surrender record can help determine if they are qualified to safely complete construction work. Anyone hiring a construction professional is encouraged to check both their disciplinary and voluntary surrender records, as well as current license status.
Our Know Your Construction Professional Directory
allows anyone, from homeowners to large development firms, easy access to a single comprehensive catalogue that provides the disciplinary and voluntary license records of construction professionals between 1998 to the present.
The Department hosts weekly informational sessions for residents to meet with Department representatives. Homeowners’ Night is every Tuesday night from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm at each borough office.
During the weekly Homeowners and Residents Night, New Yorkers can obtain:
- Advice on home construction plans, including the permitting process;
- Information on how to check a contractor’s license status;
- Guidance on reducing energy costs by weatherizing residences; Instructions on how to resolve Department-issued violations;
- Recommendations on steps to take before purchasing a home or signing a lease;
- Direction on how to secure or amend a property’s Certificate of Occupancy;
- Permit guidelines for common home improvements, such as kitchen renovations and backyard shed installation; and
- Guidance on using the Buildings Information System (BIS) to search property history and permit information.
There is no need to make an advance appointment, simply visit your local borough office:
Bronx Borough Office
1932 Arthur Ave., 5th Floor
Bronx, NY 10457
Brooklyn Borough Office
210 Joralemon Street, 8th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Manhattan Borough Office
280 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10007
Queens Borough Office
120-55 Queens Blvd.
Kew Gardens, NY 11424
Staten Island Borough Office
10 Richmond Terrace, Borough Hall, 2nd Floor
Staten Island, NY 10301