Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors are the most valuable lifesaving devices you can have in your home. Make sure your detectors are working and remember to change the batteries twice a year. Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors send an early warning of danger - and they're the most effective way to protect you and your family.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Use alarms and detectors with a "UL" marking.
- Do not install smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors near warm, damp areas, such as a bathroom.
- Place smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on each floor of your home, including the basement.
- Place carbon monoxide detectors at least 15 feet from bedroom entrances.
- Place smoke alarms:
- Inside and outside bedrooms
- At the top and bottom of stairways
- At least four (4) inches from the wall, if on ceiling
- At least four (4) inches from the ceiling, if on the wall
- Test devices regularly.
- Keep clean from dust and dirt.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Replace batteries twice a year.
- Replace carbon monoxide detectors every five (5) years.