Take the time to prepare your home for winter weather each year. You'll be safer, and you may be able to conserve energy, saving money.
Maintaining Heaters & Heating Systems
- Prevent fires and carbon monoxide buildup by keeping your heating system running efficiently and maintaining it properly.
- Have your system cleaned and serviced annually.
- When in doubt, shut it down. If a heater might not be working right, turn it off and call a repair company.
- Verify your boiler repair contractor's license. Use the Department's License Search. These contractors are usually licensed as Plumbers or Oil Burner Installers.
- Have your chimney inspected annually by a Home Improvement Contractor licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). This should be done before heating season to prevent chimney fires and carbon monoxide buildup.
- Anyone repairing a chimney must have a Home Improvement Contractor's License from DCA.
BE SAFE: Only have licensed professionals repair your plumbing, chimney, or heating and electrical systems.
Protecting Your Roof From Leaks
- Clean gutters and roof drains to prevent clogs.
- Remove snow and ice from roofs and drains