View Complaint Flowchart
If you believe you have been the victim of discrimination in the City of New York, you may file a complaint with the Law Enforcement Bureau of the NYC Commission on Human Rights.
- For more information on how to report discrimination, how to file a complaint, or about the complaint process, call 311 or (718) 722-3131
- When you visit the Commission, you will meet with a staff attorney to discuss the allegations of discrimination.
- Our office is located at 22 Reade Street, in lower Manhattan.
- Commission services are free of charge.
- The NYC Human Rights Law requires that the complaint be filed within one year of the last alleged act of discrimination.
What to Bring
- To expedite the interview process, please bring all relevant information covered in the complaint, such as names, addresses, and phone numbers of the people or organizations you are charging, and the exact dates of the events.
- To gain access to the building, please bring photo identification.
What If I Already Filed a Complaint Elsewhere?
- You cannot file a complaint with the NYC Commission on Human Rights if you have already filed a discrimination complaint based upon the same facts with any other court or agency. This includes the NYS Division of Human Rights, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and any state and federal court. It does not, however, include unemployment insurance or workers compensation claims. If your complaint is about bias-based profiling by law enforcement, you can also pursue a complaint with the Civilian Complaint Review Board and a lawsuit in state or federal court.
Can an Attorney File a Complaint on Behalf of a Client?
- Yes. Attorneys should consult the Rules of Practice when filing a complaint on behalf of a client.
Attorneys may file verified complaints that follow the format outlined in the Rules of Practice by emailing a copy to LEB@cchr.nyc.gov and following with the original mailed to the Law Enforcement Bureau at P.O. Box 2023 New York, NY 10272. Please also include a copy of our intake form, which you may request by emailing LEB@cchr.nyc.gov.