Improving Security Infrastructure in New York City Housing Authority Developments
The City is making investments in the physical landscape in order to make NYCHA developments more inhospitable to crime.
- As part of the Mayor’s Action Plan for Neighborhood Safety, the City is installing cameras, security lighting, and layered access, and removing scaffolding at the 15 target NYCHA developments.
- Neighborhood surveys of residents have also identified other neighborhood design problems in need of attention.
- Over 170 light towers have been installed in the 15 target NYCHA developments since the launch of the Mayor’s Action Plan for Neighborhood Safety in July 2014.
- More than 12,000 linear feet of shedding has been removed across the 15 developments since July 2014.
- 44 CCTV projects were completed in developments throughout NYCHA since July 2014.