Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
Who Must Have a Garage, Parking Lot, or Combo Garage and Parking Lot License?
A business accommodating five or more vehicles for a fee or other consideration charged directly or indirectly must have a Garage license (if vehicles are stored in an entirely enclosed space), a Parking Lot license (if vehicles are stored in an unenclosed space), or a Combo Garage and Parking Lot license (if vehicles are stored in both enclosed and unenclosed spaces).
This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Garage and/or Parking Lot license.
Before You File Your DCA License Application:
You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
- Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure
- Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.
- General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
- Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:
- Basic License Application
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form.
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Certificate of Authority Application Confirmation Number
The Sales Tax Identification Number is the 9, 10, or 11-digit number on your New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Certificate of Authority. You must enter this number on the Basic License Application form. If you have not received your Certificate of Authority, please enter the 6-digit confirmation number you received when you successfully submitted the application for a Certificate of Authority.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority, visit the NYS License Center. You will need a NY.gov ID to access the application form. To request a paper application, call (518) 485-2889. Allow four to six weeks after applying to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to receive your Certificate of Authority.
- Rate Information (download)
Submit two completed copies of Rate Information for vehicles.
- Proof of Bicycle Parking
If your business plans to accommodate 51 or more automobiles, you must submit ONE of the following documents as proof of bicycle parking:
*Barring an exemption or waiver, you must submit four copies of completed Rate Information: two copies for VEHICLES and two copies for BICYCLES. Do not combine vehicles and bicycles rate information.
- Two completed copies of Rate Information for bicycles* (download) OR
- Certification of Exemption from Compliance with DCA Bicycle Parking Requirements (download) OR
- An approved Bicycle Parking Spaces Waiver from the Department of Buildings (DOB). For more information, visit DOB at nyc.gov/buildings
- Department of Buildings Document
You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (expiring no less than 30 days from date of application submission), OR Letter of No Objection from DOB confirming that your premises is suitable to operate your business. If you submit a Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, it must be the most current version, show approval of the premises for “Parking Garage” and/or “Parking Lot,” and indicate a capacity greater than or equal to the number of vehicles your garage and/or parking lot plans to accommodate.
- Non-Exempt Status Affirmation (download)
- Child Support Certification Form (download)
If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a Child Support Certification Form.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
- License Fee
Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed and the number of vehicles your garage and/or parking lot will accommodate. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2013, 2015, etc. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example 2014, 2016, etc.
Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
|Garage and/or Parking Lot License Fee
License Term: 2 years
License Expiration Date: March 31, Odd years
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee is: (determined by # of cars)
|From April 1 in an odd year to September 30 in an odd year
|From October 1 in an odd year to March 31 in an even year
|From April 1 in an even year to September 30 in an even year
|From October 1 in an even year to March 31 in an odd year
||$75 or *$375
||$95 or *$475
||$135 or *$675
||$150 or *$750
*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
Application Filing Process
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the link below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
If you're applying for a GARAGE
license, click here
If you're applying for a PARKING LOT
license, click here
If you're applying for a COMBO GARAGE AND PARKING LOT
license, click here
Additional Resources for Garages and Parking Lots
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.