Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
A person or business must have a Horse Drawn Cab Owner license if they own a horse drawn vehicle which operates for hire.
Please note: A Horse Drawn Cab Owner license can only be issued to someone who buys the horse drawn cab from a current licensee and then submits the requirements listed below for the transfer of the license from the previous owner.
This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Horse Drawn Cab Owner license.
Additional DCA License You May Need
Before You File Your DCA License Application:
You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
- Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure
- Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.
- General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
- Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:
- Basic License Application
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form.
- Bill of Sale
Submit a copy of your Bill of Sale as proof that you purchased a horse drawn cab from a DCA-licensed horse drawn cab owner.
- Surrender Form (download)
The Surrender Form must be completed and signed by the previous DCA-licensed horse drawn cab owner. The previous owner must also attach his/her original DCA license document.
- Personal and Property Liability Insurance for Horse Drawn Cab
You must submit a copy of the Insurance Certificate for your horse drawn cab. Your Insurance Certificate must name the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) as the certificate holder. Minimum amounts of coverage are:
- 25,000 for bodily injury of any one person resulting from any one accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury of two or more persons resulting from any one accident
- $50,000 for death of any one person resulting from any one accident
- $100,000 for death of two or more persons resulting from any one accident
- $10,000 for destruction of property resulting from any one accident
Note: You must notify DCA within 14 days if your insurance policy is cancelled, expired, or was terminated for any reason. Notification must be in writing and submitted in person OR by mail to:
Attn: Licensing Center
New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
New York, NY 10004
- Child Support Certification Form (download)
If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a Child Support Certification Form.
- Horse Drawn Cab Safety Affirmation (download)
Applicants must complete and affirm the information provided on this form. If you fail to submit this form, your application will be denied.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
- License Fee
Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2013, 2015, etc. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example, 2014, 2016, etc.
Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
|Horse Drawn Cab Owner License Fee
License Term: 2 years
License Expiration Date: March 31, Even years
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee is:
|From April 1 in an even year to September 30 in an even year
|From October 1 in an even year to March 31 in an odd year
|From April 1 in an odd year to September 30 in an odd year
|From October 1 in an odd year to March 31 in an even year
||$25 or *$125
*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
Application Filing Process
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Horse Drawn Cab Owner
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.