Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
You must have a Locksmith license to repair, service, install, inspect, and open and close locks by mechanical means.
This description is only a general explanation of which individuals need to have a Locksmith license.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:
- Basic Individual License Application
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic Individual License Application Form.
- Photo Identification (ID) of License Applicant
Acceptable forms of ID include:
- Driver’s license or a non-driver’s license identification issued by a State Department of Motor Vehicles
- License or permit issued by a government agency
- Alien card/green card
- City, State, or Federal employee ID card
- Child Support Certification Form (download)
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
- Current color passport-size photograph of License Applicant
License Applicants can be photographed in the DCA Licensing Center at no cost.
Please note that you can upload an image file if you submit your license application online.
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee
Locksmith applicants must be fingerprinted at the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) Licensing Center. EXCEPTIONS: Any person who currently holds or has held within the past three years a DCA license that required fingerprinting does not need to be fingerprinted. Any person fingerprinted at the DCA Licensing Center within the past three years does not need to be fingerprinted. You must visit the DCA Licensing Center and pay a $75 processing fee by check or money order, payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.
Your fingerprints will be checked for any criminal record that you may have. Note that a conviction will not necessarily prevent you from being granted a license. However, failure to reveal a conviction can constitute grounds for the denial of your application.
- Proof of Locksmith Qualifications
Submit ONE of the following three combinations as proof of qualifications to be a locksmith:
- two (2) Certificates Recommending an Applicant for a Locksmith License (download) signed by New York City-licensed locksmiths OR
- a letter from Local Union No. 74 Service Employees International Union indicating successful completion of a locksmithing course at a school licensed by the New York State Education Department, and one (1) Certificate Recommending an Applicant for a Locksmith License (download) OR
- a certificate from a school licensed by the New York State Education Department indicating successful completion of a locksmithing course
- License Fee
Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2013, 2015, etc. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example, 2014, 2016, etc.
Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
|Locksmith License Fee
License Term: 2 years
License Expiration Date: May 31, Odd years
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee is:
|From June 1 in an odd year to November 30 in an odd year
|From December 1 in an odd year to May 31 in an even year
|From June 1 in an even year to November 30 in an even year
|From December 1 in an even year to May 31 in an odd year
||$25 or *$125
*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
Application Filing Process
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Locksmith
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.