Retail Laundry License Application Checklist
Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader.
Who Must Have a Retail Laundry License?
A business must have a Retail Laundry license if it:
- Provides laundry services to the general public. OR
- Stores or collects laundry for laundry services for the general public. OR
- Stores or collects laundry for delivery for the general public. OR
- Offers self-service laundry machinery for direct use by the general public.
“Laundry services” means washing, drying, starching, or ironing laundry for a fee. “Laundry services” does not include dry cleaning.
The following do NOT need a Retail Laundry license:
- Laundry facilities of any hospital AND
- Laundry facilities of any residence intended for use exclusively by the owners, tenants, or occupants of the residence
This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Retail Laundry license. Refer to the Licensing Law handout
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Retail Laundry License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCA can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
Important Message about Business Certificate
You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCA does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCA may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.
Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. DCA will verify active status prior to license issuance. You can check your status at www.dos.ny.gov/corps
DCA will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Basic License Application
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form.
- Retail Laundry Self-Certification (download).
The owner (e.g., sole proprietor, general partner, director, corporate officer, or shareholder owning 10% or more of company stock) must complete the Self-Certification.
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number
To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit www.businessexpress.ny.gov.
- Copy of your Surety Bond (or Third Party Bond), properly signed
The bond must:
- Name the City of New York as the Obligee. AND
- Include the same corporate name, Doing-Business-As (DBA) name (if any), and premises address as your license application. AND
- Cover the licensing period.
- Be in the below amount, which depends on the number of employees your business has.
- for 0 to 25 employees: $500
- for 26 to 50 employees: $1,500
- for 51 to 75 employees: $2,500
- for 76 to 125 employees: $3,000
- for 126 or more employees: $5,000
Download a list of bonding companies
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
|Retail Laundry License Fee
License Term: 2 years
License Expiration Date: December 31, Odd years
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee is (determined by # of employees):
|From January 1 in an even year to June 30 in an even year
|From July 1 in an even year to December 31 in an even year
|From January 1 in an odd year to June 30 in an odd year
|From July 1 in an odd year to December 31 in an odd year
||$85 or *$425
||$122 or *$612
||$185 or *$925
||$310 or *$1,550
||$435 or *$2,175
||$497 or *$2,487
||$560 or *$2,800
||$685 or *$3,425
*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
- Check or money order payable to DCA. (In person)
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable 2.49% Convenience Fee. (In person or online)
Application Filing Process
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center.
Free Interpretation Services
|DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS (DCA) LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please call DCA’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at (212) 436-0155 or visit our Accommodations page
- Review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below to submit your application online using a laptop or desktop computer.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCA License page to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Retail Laundries
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.