NYC Free Tax Prep: What You Need to File

Tax Day was April 18. However, you can still file your 2016 tax return for free online or at an NYC Free Tax Prep site, learn more at If you owe the government money, be aware that late filing penalties apply.

Below is a checklist of what you need to file your 2016 tax return at an NYC Free Tax Prep site or online.

ID card icon
Government-issued photo ID (includes IDNYC)
Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) and birth dates for you, your spouse, and your dependents
Income folder icon
Proof of Income:
Forms W-2, 1099s, or income and expense records if you are self-employed
(See below for detailed list.)
bank building icon
Banking Information:
Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of your refund
Need to open bank account? Visit to find out how you can open an NYC SafeStart Account. The NYC SafeStart Account has no overdraft fees and no monthly fees if you maintain a minimum balance of $25 or even less depending on the financial institution.
documents folder icon
2015 tax return (if available)
To file online: You need your 2015 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Self-Select PIN Number. If you cannot find this information on the return, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040.
Proof of health insurance coverage or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate for you, your spouse, and your dependents
Payment records for child care, including the provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, or Social Security number
Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions
If you are filing a joint return, both spouses must be present.
You might also need
Other Proof of Income
Additional Documents
Income folder icon with plus symbol
Other Proof of Income:
  • Form W-2
  • Form 1099-G
  • Form 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income)
  • Income records if you didn’t receive a 1099
  • Records of all expenses
  • Record of estimated tax payments made
  • Form 1099-R (Retirement Plans)
  • Form SSA-1099 (Social Security benefits)
  • Form 1098-T (scholarships and grants)
Other Income
  • Form W-2G (gambling winnings)
  • Form 1099-B (sale of stock)
  • Form 1099-C (cancellation of debt)
  • Form 1099-INT (interest)
  • Form 1099-DIV (dividends)
money healthcare childcare and education icons
Additional Documents:
Health Insurance
  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
  • Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source, like your employer or a government health plan such as Medicare or Medicaid.
  • Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)
Childcare Expenses
  • Receipt for fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care
  • Form W-10 or other documentation of the provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, or Social Security number.
Educational Expenses
  • Form 1098-T for tuition payments to attend a university or technical college
  • Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest
  • Receipts for qualified educational expenses
  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships

Updated 04/19/2017