Application Process for Identifiable Vital Statistics Data
Data Use Agreement
Most external data requests require a Data Use Agreement (DUA). Upon reviewing your application, your request will be assessed and, if applicable, we will contact you for next steps in completing a DUA.
Application Review by Office of Vital Statistics
The OVS will review the application to
- Assure it is completed;
- Assure the intended data use meets legally permitted use by the NYC health code - that includes most health related research projects and clinical quality improvement initiatives
- Assure Historical File Layouts or list of data elements are included with justifications for all PHIs requested;
- Assure that data elements requested are the minimal required for you to conduct your analyses;
- Review with statistical team to ensure feasibility and/or others means for completing request;
- Determine what additional DOHMH approvals or study documentations are required - and if any, obtain them;
With all documents and approvals, OVS will disseminate the DUA to the appropriate parties for signature.
You may be contacted by the Health Department for additional information. Some requests may require a fee to process- these include searches for death certificates, matching/linkage and other electronic data requests requiring significant time and effort by OVS analysts.
Please allow 4-8 weeks to process your application.