What Contributes to Rats
Rats seek out places to live that provide them with everything they need to survive: food, water, shelter and safe ways for them to get around. Rats like to build nests or burrows in the earth and prefer traveling along the same paths over and over–often using building foundations walls, fences and bushes to find their way.
To keep rats out of your property or neighborhood, you and your neighbors can take steps to make life more difficult for rats:
- Clean up: Garbage and clutter give rats a place to hide.
- Store all garbage in hard plastic rat-resistant containers with lids. Rats eat your garbage.
- Provide enough trash containers for all of the occupants of your building. Any exposed trash
will attract rats.
- Keep landscaped areas around your property free of tall weeds and trim shrubs that are close
to the ground.
- Check for cracks or holes in the foundation of your building, sidewalk, and under doors and repair
them by filling and sealing them.