The NYC Department of Correction is looking for bright, energetic and motivated students to share our commitment to enhancing public safety. The Summer Internship Program reflects the Commissioner’s commitment to establish an organizational culture of continuous learning and knowledge sharing.
The program will offer both undergraduate and graduate/law students a unique opportunity to gain valuable professional experience in the fields of correction, criminal justice, mental health, public policy and administration, city government and management.
Interns may be assigned to one of several divisions throughout the agency, including but not limited to:
• Office of the Chief of Department
• Office of the First Deputy Commissioner
• Budget and Finance
• Correctional Intelligence Bureau (CIB)
• Office of the General Counsel
• Health Affairs
• Information Technology
• Inmate Property Unit
• Strategic Planning
• Youthful Offender and Adult Programming
Assignments may either be located at Bulova Corporate Center or on Rikers Island.
In order to be considered, applicants must:
• Be matriculated in a BA/BS, MA/MS/MBA, or a professional degree program
• Submit to a background check
• Demonstrate a deep interest in criminal justice; dedication to public service; as well as a responsible work ethic
• Submit a cover letter and resume indicating their interest during the application period
Interns will receive hourly compensation a maximum work week of 28 hours, Monday through Thursday.
The program period generally runs from early June to mid-August.
Applications will be accepted from mid-February through mid-April of each year.To apply:
• Email a copy of your cover letter (include area of interest) and resume with Summer Internship Program in the subject line to SummerInternship@doc.nyc.gov
• Learn more about the Department of Correction at nyc.gov/doc
Applications received after the deadline may be placed on a wait list.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/H/V