"Made in NY" Media Employee Training is a grant program that offers funding for you to train yourself and your employees in areas that will increase their technical, creative and business skills, and help your business grow. Media Employee Training covers 70% of the cost of the trainings - trainings custom-picked by you, for your business.
Who Can Apply?
Firms interested in 'Made in New York' Training for Media Employees must:
- Have a main office within the five boroughs of New York City;
- Have at least one full-time employee;
- Have a minimum of $20,000 and a maximum of $10 million in annual gross revenues;
- Have been in operation for at least one year;
- Be in the entertainment industry.
Media Employee Training: FAQ
Q. What kind of training can I get for my employees?
We're primarily looking to fund training that will enhance your staff's technical, creative and/or business skills, but we're open to all proposals that will increase your revenue and help your employees acquire new skills and/or increase their compensation. Q. How much does training cost?
The cost of training can vary widely depending on what kind of training you need; a good rule of thumb is between $1,000 and $5,000 per staff member. You'll pay the costs up front, and we'll reimburse you for 70% of the total. Q. How can I get money for training?
Work with us to design a proposal that will help your business earn more money and your employees gain much-needed skills. You supply the ideas; we'll work with you to create the proposal. Q. How will you decide whether to fund my proposal?
We'll review your proposal with the following questions in mind:
- How much, if at all, will this training help your company increase its revenue in the next year?
- How much, if at all, will this training help your employees acquire new skills, responsibilities, and/or increase their compensation in the next year?
- Why do you need our support? Could you conduct or pay for training on your own?
The better you can demonstrate that training will increase your revenues, enable your employees to develop critical skills, and that you need our support to provide this training, the stronger the likelihood that we'll fund your proposal. Q. What if I want to train my staff but don't work in the media and entertainment industry?
If you own a business that is not part of the media and entertainment field but is located in NYC, take a look at our Customized Training program, which serves a wide variety of businesses in the NYC area. Go to http://www.nyc.gov/html/sbs/nycbiz/html/summary/training.shtml
to learn more. Q. How do I apply?
You can apply for Media Employee Training by following the steps below:
- Step 1: Submit a pre-application to determine if your business is eligible.
- Step 2: Once you've submitted a pre-application, a Program Manager will personally follow up with you to clarify any responses and if eligible, pass along the full application.
To learn more, please call 311 and ask for "Made in New York" Media Employee Training or email us