Deputy Commissioner for Legal Matters: Lawrence Byrne
The NYPD Legal Bureau provides assistance to law enforcement personnel regarding department legal matters. The bureau assists members of the service in interpreting and enforcing state, federal, and local laws; ensures that the policies and practices of the department are lawful and are fairly applied; develops legislation in accordance with the needs of the Department and public safety concerns; and furthers the quality of life of New Yorkers and visitors through the focused and aggressive use of civil enforcement remedies. The Legal Bureau oversees several units and sections.
|Civil Enforcement Unit
|Document Production Unit/FOIL
Subunits within the Legal Bureau:
- Civil Enforcement Unit (CEU) staff use nuisance abatement and forfeiture laws to successfully tackle quality of life crimes.
- Criminal Section advises members of the service on criminal law matters.
- Civil Section serves as in-house counsel to the department on all civil legal issues.
- Legislative Affairs Unit is responsible for all aspects of the department's participation in the legislative process at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Document Production/FOIL reviews formal requests from individuals seeking department records.
- Police Action Litigation Section (PALS) serves as a liaison to all members of the NYPD facing litigation stemming from police action.
- NYPD Law Graduate Fellowship, in partnership with New York City Law Department, trains outstanding law school graduates for the unique legal challenges encountered in law enforcement. One fellowship is awarded each year.
Click here to view legal filings.