School Safety Agents
Protect the Next Generation
NYPD is recognized by industry experts as the nation’s leader in crime reduction. Build your career with us and learn law enforcement from the best in the industry. School Safety Agents provide security and ensure the safety of students, faculty and visitors in the New York City Public School buildings and surrounding premises by patrolling and operating scanning equipment, verifying identity and escorting visitors and by challenging unauthorized personnel.
Salary and Benefits
Click here to learn more about salary and benefits
Click here to learn more about School Safety Agent training
- Candidates must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- Candidates must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Candidates must pass a character and background investigation.
- Candidates must pass a drug screening.
- Candidates must meet certain medical and psychological requirements.
- Candidates must reside in one of the five boroughs of New York City.
- Candidates must pay a $75 fee for fingerprinting as part of the investigation process.
- Candidates must be eligible to obtain NYC Special Patrolman status upon appointment and become certified as a NYC Special Patrolman within three (3) months of appointment. Special Patrolman certification must be maintained for the duration of employment in this title.
- Candidates must be a United States Citizen at time of hire.
- Do I have to be a citizen? Is there an age limit to be appointed?
Candidates must be a United States Citizen at time of hire to be appointed. Candidates must be 21 years of age to be appointed. There is no maximum age requirement.
- How long is the training to become a School Safety Agent?
The paid training consists of assignment to the Police Academy Recruit Training School for up to 17 weeks.
- Does this position have union benefits?
Yes. School Safety Agents are covered under The Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 237. Coverage begins after 90 days of employment.
- Do School Safety Agents have to work nights, weekends, and holidays?
At all assignment levels, personnel may be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
Click here for information about exam dates and locations