Requirements for Handgun License Applicants
The Licensing Division is located at One Police Plaza, Room 110-A, Lower Manhattan. The hours of operation are from 8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The office is closed on holidays. The Licensing Division accepts credit card payments for new applications and fingerprint fees.
The application form must be typewritten and signed by the applicant. Only the original application form will be accepted. Do not send a photocopy. The application form must be completely filled out and presented by the applicant in person at the License Division. When you submit your application, you must furnish the items listed below that are applicable to you. All documents, certificates, licenses, etc., must be submitted in the original. A copy certified by the issuing agency as true and complete is also acceptable. In addition, a legible photocopy of each item submitted must accompany the original or certified copy. Originals and certified copies will be returned.
Your application will not be accepted without the required documents, listed below:
- Photographs: Two passport size color photographs of you taken within the past thirty days are required. The photos should be taken from the chest up. The wearing of any article of clothing or adornment that obscures identification is not permitted.
- Birth Certificate: A birth certificate or some other proof of your birth date, e.g., a military record, U.S. passport, or baptismal certificate must be submitted. You must be twenty-one (21) years of age to apply for a handgun license or rifle/shotgun permit.
- Proof of Citizenship/Alien Registration: If you were born outside the United States, you must submit your naturalization papers or evidence of citizenship if derived from your parents. All other applicants born outside the United States must submit their Alien Registration Cards. If you have lived in this country less than seven years you must submit a Good Conduct Certificate, or equivalent, from your country of origin and two letters of reference that certify to your good character.
- Military Discharge: If you served in the armed forces of the United States, you must submit your separation papers (DD 214) and your discharge papers.
- Proof of Residence: You must submit proof of your present address. Proof may consist of, but is not limited to, a real estate tax bill, ownership shares in a cooperative or condominium, or a lease. You may also be requested to supply further documentation i.e., a New York State Driver's License, a New York State Income Tax Return, or a current utility bill.
- Arrest Information: If you were ever arrested, indicted, or summonsed for any reason, other than a parking violation, you must answer "Yes" to question #23 on the handgun license application and submit a certificate of disposition showing the offense and disposition. Also, you must submit a detailed, notarized statement describing the circumstances surrounding each arrest or summons. You must do this even if: the case was dismissed, the record was sealed, or the case was nullified by operation of law. The New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services will report to the NYPD every instance involving the criminal prosecution of an applicant. You must list all previous arrests and/or summonses.
- If you were ever convicted or pled guilty to a felony offense or a serious offense, as defined in Penal Law Section 265.00(17), an original Certificate of Relief of Disabilities, must be submitted.
- Order of Protection: If an Order of Protection has ever been issued against you, or issued on your behalf against anyone, you must list the following information: court of issuance, date of issuance, complainant's name, address and phone number, complainant's relationship to you, and reason for issuance of Order of Protection.
- Proof of Business Ownership: If you are making application for a carry or premises license for use in connection with a business, you must submit proof of ownership of that business. Such proof must clearly state the names of the owner(s), or, if a corporation, the names of the corporate officers. A corporation must submit its corporate book, including filing receipt, certificate of incorporation, and minutes of a corporate meeting reflecting current corporate officers; others must provide their business certificates or partnership agreements, whichever is applicable. If the business requires a license or permit from any government agency, e.g., alcohol or firearms sales, gunsmith, private investigation and guard agencies, you must submit the license or permit or a certified copy thereof. You must also submit proof of address for the business. Proof may consist of a utility bill, not more than 60 days old, in the name of the business or a lease in the name of the business.
- Letter of Necessity: All applicants for a carry license and those seeking a premises license for use in connection with their employment must complete the Letter of Necessity found on page 3 of the application. No substitutes will be accepted.
- Social Security Card: All persons filing applications must bring their original Social Security cards to the License Division when applying for a license.
The Handgun License Application form includes the License application guide, Pre-License Exemption, and Affidavit of Familiarity. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to access the application and information.