New York City Police Department311Search all websites

Firearms Licensing

Requirements for Rifle and Shotgun Permits

The Rifle and Shotgun Section's hours of operation are from 8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. and the office is closed on holidays. The Licensing Division accepts credit card payments for new applications and fingerprint fees.

120-55 Queens Blvd, B-11
Kew Gardens, New York 11424

Active uniformed members of the service do NOT need to file a FOIL exemption request with the License Division. The FOIL exemption form applies only to individuals with handgun licenses.

The application process for a rifle and shotgun permit is described below. Complete each form as directed and answer all questions. All entries must be clearly printed, in blue or black ink, or typed. You must be 21 years of age or older to receive a permit.

  1. Arrest Information: If you were ever arrested for any crime or violation, you must submit a certificate of disposition from the court concerned indicating the offense and the final disposition of the charges. You must do this even if the case was dismissed, the record sealed, or the case nullified by operation of law (e.g., youthful offender status). The New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services will report to the NYPD every instance involving the arrest of an applicant. Do not rely on anyone’s representation that you need not list a previous arrest. Any omission of a previous arrest may result in the denial of your application. You must submit a notarized statement explaining the circumstances of each arrest.
  2. Conviction Information: If you were ever convicted of a felony or a serious offense, you must obtain a New York State Certificate of Relief from Forfeitures and Disabilities. Serious offenses are listed in section 265.00(17) of the Penal Law. They include any offense involving drugs or narcotics, any sex offense, any violation of the laws pertaining to the illegal use or possession of a pistol or other dangerous weapon, possession of burglary tools and receiving stolen property.
  3. Certificate of Relief: To apply for a New York State Certificate of Relief from Forfeitures and Disabilities, you must contact the Division of Probation, the Department of Parole, or the Court in which you were convicted.
  4. Veteran: If you served in the armed forces of the United States, you must submit your separation papers (DD 214) and your discharge papers. If you received other than an honorable discharge, you must submit a notarized statement explaining the reason for discharge.
  5. Physician's Note: If your answer to Questions 3, 4 or 5 on the application is YES, you must submit a letter from a licensed physician stating that he or she has examined you within the past 30 days, that the examination included a review of your past medical history and all pertinent hospital and institutional records, and that the physician’s conclusion is that you are capable of possessing a rifle and or shotgun without presenting a danger of harm to yourself (applicant) or to others. Further evidence may be requested.
  6. Fees: The application fee is $140.00, and the fingerprint fee is an additional $89.75. You may pay the fees with a credit card or two postal money orders, bank teller’s checks, or certified checks. Cash is not accepted. Please make your money orders or checks payable to the New York City Police Department. No personal checks will be accepted.
  7. Fingerprinting: You will be fingerprinted when you submit your application, which can be done at the Rifle and Shotgun Section office in Queens or at the License Division office located in One Police Plaza, Room 110A, Lower Manhattan.
  8. Photographs: You must provide four color photographs taken from the chest up (1½” x 1½”) taken within the last 30 days with your application.
  9. Proof of Residence: You must submit proof of your present address. Acceptable forms of proof are utility bills, such as gas, electric or telephone bills, or a notarized lease. The utility bill must show your name and current address and must not be more than 60 days old. If you do not have a lease or a utility bill in your name, a notarized statement from the person with whom you reside, accompanied by a utility bill in their name and showing the same address, is acceptable. Further documentation may be required.
  10. Proof of Citizenship/Alien Registration: If you were born in the United States, you must submit your birth certificate. If there is no record of your birth on file with the Department of Health or the Bureau of Vital Statistics, some other proof of your birth date, e.g., a military record, U.S. Passport, or baptismal certificate, must be submitted. If you were born outside of the United States, you must submit your naturalization papers, valid U.S. Passport, or other evidence of citizenship, in cases when your citizenship is a consequence of the status of your parents when you were born. All other applicants born outside the United States must submit their ALIEN REGISTRATION CARDS.
  11. Notarized Statement: A notarized acknowledgment statement is required. The form is supplied by the Licensing Division or Rifle and Shotgun Section.
  12. Necessary Permit: It is unlawful to possess rifles or shotguns in New York City without obtaining a permit issued by the New York City Police Department.
  13. Social Security Card: All persons filing applications must bring their original Social Security cards with them to the Rifle/Shotgun Section when applying for a permit.

All rifles and shotguns owned by a permit holder must be registered with the Police Department. There is no charge for registering firearms. The registration of a rifle or shotgun can be accomplished by filling out the registration form, PD 641-121, and mailing the two top copies (Green) to: License Division, Rifle and Shotgun Section, Room B11, 120-55 Queens Blvd., Kew Gardens, N.Y. 11424.

The Rifle/Shotgun Permit form includes instructions, a waiver of confidentiality, and rules and regulations for rifle and shotgun permit holders. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to access the application and information.

Special Theatrical Permit Instructions