Special Waste Drop-Off Sites
The following items are accepted at DSNY special waste drop-off sites:
- Batteries, including automotive, rechargeable (such as small sealed lead acid batteries, Li-Ion, Ni-MH, Ni-ZN, Ni-Cd) and single-use (such as alkaline and lithium primary). Follow instructions below to prepare batteries before arrival.
- Motor oil and transmission fluid (up to 10 quarts per visit)
- Motor oil filters (up to two filters per visit)
- Fluorescent light bulbs & CFLs
- Latex paint (up to five gallons per visit)
- Mercury-containing devices (up to two per visit)
- Passenger car tires (up to four per visit)
- Electronics (covered by the disposal ban)
Locations & Hours
- Bronx: Hunts Point at Farragut Street and the East River, next to the Fulton Fish Market. Enter on Farragut Street, off Food Center Drive.
- Brooklyn: Bensonhurst at 25th Avenue and Gravesend Bay, next to DSNY Brooklyn District 11 garage and the Adventurers Amusement Park, formerly known as Nellie Bly Amusement Park.
- Manhattan: 74 Pike Slip between Cherry Street and South Street under the Manhattan Bridge
- Queens: College Point at 30th Avenue, between 120th and 122nd Streets, at the northwest corner of the DSNY Queens District 7 garage.
- Staten Island: Located at the foot of Muldoon Avenue, off the Muldoon Avenue exit of the southbound West Shore Expressway (440), adjacent to the DSNY Staten Island District 3 garage.
The sites are open from 10 am to 5 pm every Saturday and the last Friday of the month. Sites are closed on legal holidays, and may be closed during severe weather.
Rules & Procedures
DSNY drop-off sites are only for non-commercial materials from NYC residents. Anyone with a commercial license plate will not be allowed to enter the site.
When you arrive at the drop-off site, you’ll be required to show a valid NYS driver’s license and vehicle registration. If you aren’t arriving by car, you can provide a picture ID and proof of residency, such as a phone or utility bill.
The drop-off location may not be immediately visible. If you have trouble finding the location, ask a DSNY garage foreman or supervisor at the site. DSNY officials will be there to instruct you, but the sites are do-it-yourself style. Wearing casual clothes and work gloves is strongly recommended.
Special Instructions for Batteries:
To prevent the risk of fire, individually bag each non-alkaline battery or use CLEAR tape to cover the terminals. Do not use opaque tape and do not bag or tape alkaline batteries.
At the drop-off site, place each battery into its designated collection container: alkaline, small sealed lead acid, auto, and "other".
Other Disposal Options
Retailers and manufacturers accept certain items in take-back programs, including electronics. In addition, DSNY SAFE Disposal Events are held several times a year in all five boroughs.