There are two ways to pay for metered parking in NYC:
- Use ParkNYC app for seamless and quick transactions from your phone
- Pay at on-street parking meters which accept credit cards, coins, and the NYC Parking Card
Paying with ParkNYC
Use the ParkNYC app to pay for on-street parking in all five boroughs.
- Create an account using the free ParkNYC app
- Choose your preferred payment method – use an e-wallet or pay per transaction
- Start parking – no need to display anything on your dashboard
How to Use Meters
Download a printable version of these instructions (pdf) Remember, you can pay for parking using a mobile app
Pay by Coins
Insert quarters or dollar coins to add time automatically
Pay by Cards
Credit cards: Dip and remove
NYC Parking Card: Insert and leave in
2. Add Time
Press the blue button to add time
Or, press the orange button to select the maximum time allowed
3. Print Receipt
Press green button to print receipt
4. Display Receipt
Place receipt on driver's side dashboard with printed side facing up
To report a broken meter, visit NYC311 Online. If you are parked on a street with a broken meter, please use another meter to obtain your receipt or pay via the mobile app.
Tips for Paying with Coins
Customers have approximately 40 seconds to deposit coins. If no coins are deposited within this time and the green button is not pushed, the transaction will be cancelled and coins returned.
Tips for Using a Parking Card at a Meter
- Do not remove the Parking Card until the transaction is over
- The display will show the balance on the card
- Press the green button to confirm the transaction
- You can cancel the transaction at any time by pressing the red button
- Parking Card payments can be combined with coins – this is helpful when Parking Cards have a very low value remaining
Parking a Motorcycle at a Meter
Like other motorists, motorcyclists using meters must display their receipt on their vehicle. To prevent theft or damage to the receipt, NYC DOT recommends using clear plastic holders attached to the motorcycle with a lock or other mechanism. Devices made especially for this purpose can be found in specialty stores.