FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Release #12-28
Seth Solomonow/Nicole Garcia (212) 839-4850
NYC DOT Commissioner Sadik-Khan Announces Summer Streets 2012, Featuring a 160-foot Zip Line, Climbing Wall and Fun Activities Along a Seven Mile Car-free Route For Three Saturdays in August
Summer Streets 2012 returns Aug. 4, 11 and 18 from 7 am to 1 pm; Weekend Walks events in 19 neighborhoods across the city
New York City Department of Transportation Commissioner (DOT) Janette Sadik-Khan today announced the fifth annual Summer Streets events will be held Aug. 4, 11 and 18, bringing nearly seven miles of car-free streets to Manhattan from the Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park for three Saturdays from 7 am to 1 pm, as well as Weekend Walks events in 19 neighborhoods citywide throughout the summer. DOT continues to bring fun activities to the Summer Streets lineup, with a 160-foot-long zip line, a 25-foot climbing wall provided by REI, football and other sports-themed activities, DOT’s popular free helmet fittings and dozens of free offerings ranging from exercise to dance to yoga classes. The Commissioner made the announcement at Union Square, the site of a zip line demonstration and a helmet fitting featuring DOT’s latest helmet design, which will be available at all three Summer Streets events.
“For three Saturdays this August, the streets belong to all New Yorkers, and everyone’s invited,” said Commissioner Sadik-Khan. “Building on this summertime tradition, New Yorkers can ride high on Summer Streets’ first-ever zip line and take part in dozens of activities for all ages, while 19 local Weekend Walks events are bringing even more opportunities for New Yorkers to walk, cycle, skate and dance their way through the five boroughs.”
This year’s Summer Streets events are made possible in part through the support of outdoor-gear retailer REI, Whole Foods Market, Crunch, Odwalla, GoGo squeeZ, Asphalt Green and NFL PLAY 60, among others. Media sponsors include New York Magazine, El Diario, CBS and SNY.
Due to increasing demand, free helmet fittings will take place at a more spacious 52nd Street location this year. DOT has given out more than 50,000 helmets to date and this year’s helmets feature an attractive new color scheme. The City Department of Environmental Protection is providing drinking water fountains along the route and free bicycle and rollerblade rentals will be available at select locations. Bike New York also will be onsite teaching Learn to Ride bicycle classes.
Key cross-town streets will remain open to vehicles. No Parking regulations will be in effect from 11 pm the Friday evening before each event until 2 pm the day of the event. Street closures will begin at 6 am, with streets reopening at 1:30 pm on the day of each event. More information can be found at nyc.gov/summerstreets.
DOT is once again partnering with community groups in every borough to present Weekend Walks. These temporary pedestrian streets expand the doorsteps to local businesses and cultural institutions while promoting healthy, safe, fun recreation. Each event creates high-quality space in commercial districts. Hosted by local community groups and merchants, each Weekend Walk features a range of family-friendly activities, from music performances to arts and crafts to classes and youth programming. Altogether, there are 19 Weekend Walks locations across the city, and each provides a unique, car-free street experiences ranging from one to 10 blocks long. Several Weekend Walks have already taken place in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens, organized by WHEDco (Women’s Housing and Economic Development) in the Bronx; Neighbors Allied for Good Growth in Brooklyn; the Columbus Amsterdam BID and Community League of the Heights (CLOTH)in Manhattan; and the Kew Gardens Hills Civic Association and Queens Jewish Community Council in Queens. More information is available at www.nyc.gov/weekendwalks.
Upcoming Weekend Walks Events
- Bronx Summer Walks on 167th Street: East 167th Street between Gerard Avenue and Cromwell Avenue; June 9, June 16, June 23 (Saturdays) at noon–4:00 pm. Hosted by WHEDco.
- Bronx Summer Walks on Burnside Avenue: West Burnside Avenue between Davidson Avenue and Jerome Avenue; July 21, July 28, August 4 (Saturdays) at 10:00 am–5:00 pm. Hosted by Davidson Community Center.
- 204th Street Weekend Walks: East 204th Street between Bainbridge Avenue and Decatur Avenue; July 29, August 5 (Sundays) at noon–5:00 pm. Hosted by Bronx CB 7.
- Bronx Summer Walks on Southern Boulevard: Southern Boulevard between Home Street and 172nd Street; August 4, August 11, August 18 (Saturdays) at noon–4:00 pm. Hosted by WHEDco.
- Williamsburg Walks: Bedford Avenue between Metropolitan Avenue and N. 12th Street; June 9, June 16, June 23 (Saturdays) at 2:00–8:00 pm. Hosted by Neighbors Allied for Good Growth.
- Pitkin Avenue Summer Plaza: Pitkin Avenue between Strauss Street and Amboy Street; June 23, June 30, July 7 (Saturdays) at 11:00 am–5:00 pm. Hosted by Pitkin Avenue District Management Association (Pitkin Avenue BID).
- Summer Stroll: Third Avenue between 82nd Street and 89th Street; July 20, July 27, August 10, August 17 at 6:00–10:00 pm. Hosted by Merchants of Third Avenue.
- Grand Street Weekend Walks: Grand Street between Lorimer Street and Graham Avenue; July 14, July 21 (Saturdays at noon–6:00 pm. Hosted by Grand Street BID.
- TAMA Summer Fest Weekend Walks II: Tompkins Avenue between Hancock Street and Putnam Avenue; July 28, August 4 (Saturdays) at 2:30–5:30 pm. Hosted by Bridge Street Development Corporation.
- Summer Space: Montague Street between Clinton Street and Hicks; September 9, September 23, October 14 (Sundays) at noon–5:00 pm. Hosted by Montague Street BID.
- Children's Earth Day/Activity Day: St. Marks Avenue/Sixth Avenue and Flatbush Avenue; October 27 (Saturday) at noon–4:00 pm Hosted by North Flatbush Avenue BID.
- Manhattan Valley Family Days: Amsterdam Avenue between 106th and 110th; May 6, May 20, September 9, September 16 (Sundays) at 11:00 am–5:00 pm. Hosted by Columbus Amsterdam BID.
- Summer Sundays in the Heights: Edward Morgan Place between 156th Street and 157th Street; June 3, June 10, June 17, June 24 (Sundays) at 12:30–5:30 pm. Hosted by Community League of the Heights (CLOTH).
- Fringe NYC on Fourth: East 4th Street between Second Avenue and Bowery; August 18, August 19, August 25, August 26 (Saturdays and Sundays) at 1:00–8:00 pm. Hosted by FAB.
- Uptown Pops: Hamilton Place between West 136th Street and West 137th Street; September 15 & September 16, September 22 & September 23, September 29 & September 30 (Saturdays and Sundays) at 9:00 am–3:00 pm. Hosted by West Harlem Art Fund.
- Main Street Summer Walk: Main Street between 71st Road and 72nd Avenue;
June 3, June 10 (Sundays) at noon–4:00 pm. Hosted by Kew Gardens Hills Civic Association and Queens Jewish Community Council.
- Sunnyside Summer Streets: 46th Street between Greenpoint Avenue and Queens Boulevard; August 4, August 11, August 18, August 25 (Saturdays) at 1:00–8:00 pm. Hosted by Sunnyside Shines BID (Sunnyside District Management Association).
- Astoria Park Shore Fest: Shore Boulevard between Astoria Park South and Ditmars Boulevard; August 5, August 12, August 19 (Sundays) at 1:00 pm–7:00 pm. Hosted by Astoria Park Alliance.
- Van Duzer Days: Van Duzer Street between Wright and Beach Streets; July 14, July 21 at noon–7:00 pm. Hosted by Staten Island Collaboration (SIcoLAB).