Press Release #21-027
Friday, August 6, 2021
Contact: Scott Gastel/Brian Zumhagen (212) 839-4850
NYC DOT Announce the Return of “Summer Streets” Along Park Avenue, Opening Streets from Central Park to Brooklyn Bridge
Seven miles of car-free streets on two August Saturdays will include a range of activities, encouraging participants to walk, run, cycle, and play.
The New York City Department of Transportation today announced its thirteenth Summer Streets, taking place on Saturdays August 7th and 14th from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. along Park Avenue, Lafayette and Centre Streets from Central Park to the Brooklyn Bridge. DOT will once again curate a roster of fun and free activities along the route.
“Summer Streets is one of New York City’s quintessential summer events and we’re thrilled to bring it back this year,” said DOT Commissioner Hank Gutman. “Among the many activities this Saturday and next week, New Yorkers can take in a musical performance, join a fitness class or just walk, jog or bike along car-free streets. There is no better way to enjoy the ‘Summer of NYC’ than by enjoying New York City’s original 7 miles of Open Streets.”
Since 2008, the New York City Department of Transportation has presented Summer Streets along nearly seven miles of streets made accessible to the public for outdoor recreation – walking, running, cycling and playing, in addition to many free activities for all ages. In accordance with statewide restrictions due to COVID-19, the Summer Streets initiative was discontinued in 2020. DOT is excited to reactivate this iconic stretch for workouts with a variety of fitness brands, performances by local musicians and more – all to explore on a car-free Park Avenue.
Each of our rest stops, including right here at Foley Square, will feature a bright and lively 5’ tall, 15’ wide NYC logo displaying the work of artist Priscila De Carvalho. These Art Stops are very selfie worthy and illustrate the vitality and energy of our City’s streets combined with the landscape of the Artist’s native Brazil.
Summer Streets 2021 activities and programming will include:
Uptown Rest Stop: Park Avenue at 51st Street
- Art and Cultural Workshops: A variety of fun and interactive workshops geared towards children ages 2 and up. Join Urban Studio Unbound, HYPOTHEkids, HONK NYC and The Noguchi Museum at the DOT Art and Cultural Hub.
- Performance Stage: Enjoy a diverse array of musical, theatrical and dance performances at the Uptown Performance Stage located on Rudin Plaza. Performances begin on the hour from 8 am to 12 pm.
Midtown Rest Stop: Park Avenue at 26th and 27th Streets
- Free Bike Rentals: Unlimited Biking will be present at Midtown and Foley Square, with 100 complimentary bikes at each rest stop. Bikes are available on a first come, first serve basis – and attendees are asked to limit their ride to one hour.
- Learn to Ride: Bike New York will offer free group class for children who are ready to ditch their training wheels and ride a two-wheeler for the first time. Kids must bring their own bike and helmet. Spaces are limited; please register in advance online to guarantee participation.
- Pop-up Performances: Come watch and participate in a series of pop-up performances presented by Fogo Azul drumline and marching band at 10:45am, 11:30am and 12:15pm.
Astor Place Rest Stop: Lafayette Street at Astor Place
- Astor Place Fitness Stage: Come meditate, stretch, jump, kick and get your heart rate up at free fitness classes. Classes will be held on the hour from 8 am to 12 pm, and will be led by instructors from Just Like Om, Life Time, Energi Total Wellness Studio, Athleta and WRKNYC.
- Zing! Kids Fitness: Zing! provides fun-powered experiences to help kids feel amaZING through movement, mindset, and play. Join Zing! instructors for interactive, confidence-boosting Zing! Fit classes for kids ages 4 to 11, Zinger Fit games & challenges, and more. Classes will be held every 30 minutes from 9 am to 12 pm and will be approximately 15-20 minutes in length.
- Parkour and Play with Movement Creative: Experience a pop-up parkour playground that encourages family-friendly, creative movement via a unique portable parkour park that will challenge balance, strength, jumping, and climbing skills. August 14th only, from 7 am to 1 pm
- Adaptive Basketball Games: The Wheelchair Sports Federation invites the public to participate in training sessions and live games or watch an exhibition of practicing adaptive basketball teams. Able bodied individuals are also invited to participate in the sessions with loaner wheelchairs available to the public.
Foley Square Rest Stop: Centre Street a Duane Street
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Presents Flatbed Follies: Come mingle with Bindlestiff performers in the plaza on both Saturdays or enjoy a scheduled performance. The mission of Bindlestiff Family Variety Arts, Inc. is to bring joy and wonder into the world. They are founded upon a respect for circus tradition and a drive to create new work that speaks to contemporary American culture. Performances will begin at 9:00 am, 10:30am and 12:00 pm.
- DOT Truck’s Eye View: Children and adults can climb into a parked truck to experience a truck driver's perspective on the roadway. Visit the Vision Zero information tent for safety information and giveaways. Masks are encouraged and will be available on site. Special thanks to our partners, the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) and Wegmans for the trucks used in this year’s activation.
- Walk-Up COVID-19 Vaccinations: NYC's Vaccine Command Center will provide FREE Pfizer vaccines at Summer Streets. Everyone ages 12+ is eligible and no appointment is needed.
For more information about Summer Streets, including a route map and street closure information, please visit www.nyc.gov/dot or www.nyc.gov/summerstreets. A full list of this year’s programming can be found here.