Gouverneur has unveiled the latest collection of contemporary artwork from RxArt on the second floor Pediatrics and Women's Health Departments. RxArt is a nonprofit organization that installs museum-quality art in hospital settings to create environments that help relieve stress and anxiety, while increasing appreciation for contemporary art.
“By presenting local artwork, we support the spirit and ingenuity that gives color and energy to our community, while providing our patients with beautiful artwork to lift their spirits and their souls,” said Gouverneur executive Director Mendel Hagler. “Initiatives like these enable us to not only serve the needs of our patients, but bring everyone who visits Gouverneur face-to-face with the beauty of the Lower East Side.
We encourage staff and patients to visit the second floor and enjoy this beautiful exhibit.
Artists in Gouverneur's RxArt instillation include:
- Jason Middlebrook-a contemporary artist whose work explores the human relationship with nature
- Mark Dion-a widely-acclaimed artist who explores how institutional theories shape our understanding of history and nature
- Yvonne Jacquette-a painter and printmaker who creates vibrant and detailed cityscapes and areal productions
- Lane Twitchell-creates work out of paper folding and cutting to resemble historic crafts
- Garret Phelan-uses wall paintings and radio broadcasts to explore how values and ideas enter society
- Ben Jones-an interdisciplinary artist who creates work with amazing energy and vitality to appeal to children and adults Chris Martin-creates abstract paintings incorporating nature
- Laura Owens-is a post-modern artist who creates works that are layered and complex
- Paul Henry Ramirez-creates paintings and drawings that are vibrant and playful, with an exuberant energy that evokes a whimsical spirit
Additional information about these artists is available at www.rxart.net. For more information about Gouverneur's Art Program, please contact Gillian Fein at 212-238-8001.