Set Text SizeSmMedLg
New York City Loft Board
Alteration Application

The legalization process begins with the filing of an alteration application (also known as a Plan/Work Approval Type-1 Application, or a PW-1) with the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB).  The application is a request to DOB to issue a permit authorizing the performance of certain construction work in the IMD building.

The application must be filed by a New York State licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA). The application requires the submission of building plans along with certain forms. The plans and forms are submitted to the DOB on behalf of the building owner.  For detailed information on the application process see, the DOB's Applications and Permits section, How to File an Application and Get a Permit on the DOB website.  The deadline for filing an alteration application with DOB is posted on our website under the Code Compliance Timetable heading.

Search Loft Board Orders
Loft Board Orders from 1996 to the present are now available online at the Center for New York City Law's Administrative Decision Web site.
Search Now