How do I change the use or occupancy of a building or property?

A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) documents the legal use and/or occupancy of a building. It is normally issued after construction or alteration plans are submitted and approved and construction is completed, inspected, and approved.

If you have specific questions about changing your CO, you can contact your local Department of Buildings Certificate of Occupancy Borough Office:

Manhattan: (212) 566-5140
Bronx: (718) 579-2944
Brooklyn: (718) 802-3680
Queens: (718) 286-0680
Staten Island: (718) 816-2302